Re: Could use an explanation why Debian after Wheezy doesn’t work on eMac G4 out of the box. Tried running Debian ports Sid, but boots to a black screen.

I have an eMac G4 too and it saddens me not to be able to install an up
to date operating system on it.

As far as I understand, the problem is related to video drivers.

More specifically to the fact that at some point there was a shift
towards KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) video drivers that is not compatible
with that particular machine. I suppose it is something related both to
the old radeon chipset and to the CRT monitor. But I am not sure.

If you do not need X, you can still use it in console mode. If you need
X, maybe you can use radeon drivers, but without accelleration.

I mentioned this problem to this list several years ago, but at the time
I was not able to find a real solution [1].

Up to this date, I still use Wheezy on that machine.

If someone has an idea to make it work again with sid, I am willing to
make tests. I would also like to test the new grub on that eMac, but I
did not had the will/heart to format the hard drive with the working
wheezy on it. But I will format it if it can be useful.

Regards

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2016/06/msg00136.html