Re: Debian Installer GRUB test image available

On 05/05/2019 14:59, Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
>> Hi Adrian, [...]
>> In the last thread you listed the options as:
>
> The actually used options can be seen in a debian-cd specific data file
> of the ISO:
>
>   mount debian-10.0-powerpc-grub-NETINST-1.iso /mnt/iso
>
>   cat /mnt/iso/.disk/mkisofs
>
> yields in a single line which i break up here:
>
>   xorriso -as mkisofs \
>     -r \
>     -checksum_algorithm_iso md5,sha1 \
>     -V 'Debian 10.0 ppc n' \
>     -o /home/glaubitz/debian-cd-test/debian-10.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso \
>     -J -joliet-long \
>     -cache-inodes \
>     -hfsplus -apm-block-size 2048 \
>     -hfsplus-file-creator-type chrp tbxi /System/Library/CoreServices/BootX \
>     -hfs-bless-by p /System/Library/CoreServices \
>     -sysid PPC \
>     -graft-points \
>     /System/Library/CoreServices/BootX=/home/glaubitz/tmp/sid/CD1/../CD1/boot/grub/powerpc-ieee1275/grub.chrp \
>     /System/Library/CoreServices/grub.elf=/home/glaubitz/tmp/sid/CD1/../CD1/boot/grub/powerpc.elf \
>      -chrp-boot-part \
>      CD1
>

>> If I look at /System/Library/CoreServices/BootX then it's actually a
>> bootinfo XML file.
>
> It's name on hard disk was "grub.chrp".
> (Its purpose and format is beyond my knowledge.)

Right, these graft points are unnecessary - if you look at the BootX file on the ISO
then it's simply a pointer to /boot/grub/powerpc-ieee1275/grub.chrp which is a
bootinfo file containing this:

<BOOT-SCRIPT>
boot &device;:&partition;,\System\Library\CoreServices\grub.elf
</BOOT-SCRIPT>

and from above this is simply a link to /boot/grub/powerpc.elf, which is also
different to the bootinfo file that already exists at \ppc\bootinfo.txt which would
be picked up by CHRP machines by default. It feels like we're just going around in
circles.

To summarise again:

- Mac machines locate the TBXI filetype in the blessed directory
- CHRP machines as defined by the specification look at \ppc\bootinfo.txt

I really can't see why we can't just bless \ppc, set the \ppc\bootinfo.txt file type
to TBXI and then both Mac and CHRP work with only one copy of each file instead of
having all these aliases and graftpoints?

ATB,

Mark.