Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-04-20

On 5/3/19 12:06 AM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
The reason is that my `mk-hfs-bootstrap.sh` script relied on language
dependent information. I didn't recognize - nor expect - that this
information is language dependent until I used a different language for
the installation process. Due to that the partition index of the HFS
bootstrap partition couldn't be found when using Italian or e.g. German
as installer language as the used expression doesn't match then.

This is why I'm actually not a big fan of such scripts. They rely too much
on the output format and text of other tools and once these tools change
their format in a newer version, you have to go fix all these scripts
again.

That's true for all code, if the interface you use changes, you have to
adapt your code. It could be discussed if there's a better interface
available to get the needed information (partition index), but I
couldn't find one that also provides a relation between partition
information (bootable, method newworld, designated mount point) and
index. If someone has an idea I want to hear it, my updated code is on [1].

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/grub-installer/merge_requests/2

Btw, are there any news regarding tests with grub-ofpathname?

Only for my 11,2 type G5 so far and there it doesn't work:
```
root@powermac-g5:~# ofpath /dev/sda2
/ht@0,f2000000/pci@9/k2-sata-root@c/@0/@0:2
## This path works...

root@powermac-g5:~# grub-ofpathname /dev/sda2
/ht@0,f2000000/pci@9/k2-sata-root@c/@0:2
## ...this does not

root@powermac-g5:~# nvsetenv boot-device
/ht@0,f2000000/pci@9/k2-sata-root@c/@0:2,\grub
## Booting with this setting doesn't work.
```

Cheers,
Frank