Re: PPC64 Illegal Instruction

Hi Roberto!

On 3/8/19 5:48 AM, roberto.guardato wrote:
> Our repository is highly experimental and it was NOT created to establish
> a new fork of Debian

Sure, I never assumed a fork. A fork would involve forking around 50000 source
packages. No one has ever done this. There are only derivatives and spins of
Debian.

> As a result, we will indeed report to Debian maintainers the list of patch
> that should then be applied to the packages for PPC64 big endian.

Best is to get all patches propagated to the upstream projects so we don't have
to carry the patches in Debian. In most cases, it's rather easy. But if you
need help with forwarding any patch to upstream (Mozilla Firefox, for example),
just let me know.

> I stress that all our efforts are targeting the goal of pushing Debian to provide
> a more robust support for our main target platform: PPC64 big endian.

Ok, great!

> All packages provided on our repository are natively compiled under Debian SID PPC64> big endian on a G5 PowerMac or a remote server with an IBM CPU Power8.

Our build machine for powerpc and ppc64 is also an IBM POWER8. We're currently waiting
for a second machine to be provided by IBM or any other generous donor.

> I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the Debian development team for
> their great work in supporting the big endian PowerPC architecture.

Sure. You're welcome. You are very welcome to join us.

We're hanging around on IRC in #debian-ports on OFTC.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz