Re: PPC64 Image Installation Error

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 11:19 PM, Noah Wolfe <n.wolfe4@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> I'm running a Late 2005 Power Mac G5 (11,2), and although the regular
> powerpc installer images may be fixed from most problems at this point
> (going off of other people's posted experiences), the newest netinstall
> ppc64 images from 2019-01-27 (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/2
> 019-01-27/) are still unable to install the linux-image-powerpc64
> package during normal (non-expert) installation, and when the installer
> gives you the notification of this, it quits the rest of the
> installation, leaving an incomplete base system.
>
> The notification window itself displays "Unable to install the selected
> kernel" in red text at the top, with the description "An error was
> returned while trying to install the selected kernel into the target
> system." in regular black text. It specifies with "Kernel package:
> 'linux-image-powerpc64'." below, and adds "Check /var/log/syslog or see
> virtual console 4 for the details." at the end. It is accompanied by a
> blue backdrop instead of the usual red.
>
> Upon further inspection into virtual console 4 (Ctrl+Alt+F4), the last
> remaining written installer activity is displayed, a particular point
> of interest after the usual "Unpacking linux-image-4.19.0-2-powerpc64
> (4.19.16-1) ...", being: "dpkg: error processing archive
> /media/cdrom//pool-ppc64/main/l/linux/linux-image-4.19.0-2-
> powerpc64_4.19.16-1_ppc64.deb (--unpack)", "Cannot copy extracted data
> for './boot/vmlinux-4.19.0-2-powerpc64' to '/boot/vmlinux-4.19.0-2-
> powerpc64.dpkg-new': failed to write (No space left on device)", "dpkg-
> deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)", "W:
> Last kernel image has been removed, so removing the default symlinks".
>
> It then goes on to normally select, prepare to unpack, and unpack
> linux-image-powerpc64, only to stop with "Errors were encountered while
> processing: /media/cdrom//pool-ppc64/main/l/linux/linux-image-4.19.0-2-
> powerpc64_4.19.16-1_ppc64.deb", "error: exiting on error base-
> installer/kernel/failed-install", "WARNING **: Configuring 'bootstrap-
> base' failed with error code 30", "WARNING **: Menu item 'bootstrap-
> base' failed.", ending there.
>
> Debian 7.11, 8.11, and the May 2018 Sid netinstall cd, all install onto
> this machine (given the same partition tables) without a hitch, along
> with Ubuntu Server 16.04.5. Though admittedly they were all of regular
> powerpc decent and not ppc64 as seen here. I had also tried the Debian
> 9 installer port for ppc64 (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/9.0
> /ppc64/iso-cd/) and got the same result displayed here, so it appears
> this may be a longstanding issue among the ppc64 builds, at least from
> my point of view.
>
> Putting that aside, maybe something was overlooked in the ppc64 images
> specifically when building the new batches? To my knowledge, much of it
> [...]

Hi Noah,

It sounds like you’re running out of free space in the partition that contains the /boot directory.

Can you describe the steps you used to partition the disk?  In particular, if you are re-using the /boot partition so as not to interfere with your existing installation, how much free space is there in it.  E.g. on your existing (working) setup do
    df -HTP /boot

hope it helps!
Rick