Re: install of GRUB and yaboot

Hi,

On 11/28/18 20:27, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hi,

I can once reinstall from scratch Debian on my iBook (HW failure)
which I just did a fortnight ago...

Where are the GRUB explanations, is there a good guide? I was not able to find the mails from Frank Scheiner.

In 2017 Adrian pointed me to [1], which I originally followed to get my first G5 to boot with GRUB instead of yaboot.

[1]: http://cynic.cc/blog/posts/running_grub2_on_powerpc_macs/

This howto creates a GRUB image with all needed stuff to boot that fits into the per-default about 1 MiB sized NewWorld/HFS partition that contains yaboot.

I think my summary for a GRUB installation on an Xserve G4 fits your iBook best. Checkout [2], my original instructions for a G5 are on [3].

[2]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/10/msg00005.html

[3]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/09/msg00034.html

The "official" way as used by GRUB is a little different and requires all GRUB modules, translations, boot image, etc. installed below `/boot/grub` - where the NewWorld/HFS partition should be mounted in this case. You need about 10 MiB, but 20 MiB might be better, because the installation size grows with any new set of translations.

How should I proceed to install with GRUB

1) do some magic and install GRUB directly, even if the installer uses yaboot

2) partition differently from automatic partitioning, however install yaboot and then try to "upgrade"

I'd say: install as normally but make sure your NewWorld/HFS partition has at least 10 MiB in size.

Check that your machine boots with yaboot. If that doesn't work, boot your machine with the installer CDROM into rescue mode and mount your root partition and then your NewWorld/HFS under `/boot/grub`. Chroot into the installation and follow the guides mentioned above to install GRUB. If yaboot boots your machine, just mount the NewWorld/HFS under `/boot/grub`and follow the mentioned guides to install GRUB.

If that works you can later still try out the official way. Which is "hidden" in part of my initially proposed patches for d-i/grub-installer (see [4]). I have to recheck that first, as I don't remember all details at the moment.

[4]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/11/msg00072.html

Cheers,
Frank

3) ?

At least, with the correct partition, I might be able to install grub later. I understand the default yaboot partition is too small.

Riccardo