Re: Error trying to update powerpc64 Jessie machine.

Hello Rick!

On 06/28/2018 09:05 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
> For the last couple of days, my PowerPC64 machine, running Debian Jessie, has been getting this error message when I try to do “apt update”:
>
>> W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/jessie/updates/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-powerpc/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
>>
>> E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Your subject is a bit misleading. You are talking about an installation of
Debian powerpc (32-Bit) on a 64-bit-capable machine.

> Does anybody know why?  It was working fine until a couple of days ago…

Yes, as announced by DSA, the powerpc buildds have been shut down:

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2018/06/msg00004.html

We are currently in the process to properly move powerpc to Debian
Ports. In the meantime, you can either reinstall your machine with
Debian ppc64 from Debian Ports [1] or wait until the transition is
finished.

Jessie on powerpc is no longer being updated and supported. You
will have to switch to Debian unstable.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz