Re: Maturity of GRUB on powerpc/ppc64?

On 10/04/2017 11:24 AM, Richard Kuenz wrote:
i have one computer with intel i7 2600 and one ssd in it
it had windows installed;
it was very difficult to install on the same harddrive debian (on a separate partition , of course) and get GRUB recognized at startup.
Probably because it is UEFI only with newer Firmware, i think.
Now i have Grub Menu with Dual-Boot Debian Wheezy (Grub) and Windows (UEFI Loader),
but very often , randomly , it would not recognize GRUB Menu at Startup, and need to
Shutdown, and Re-Start. Sometimes GRUB is only recognized after a few startups;
Maybe i have messed up the Installation, i don't know, but it is on SSD + UEFI, and took me some time, and yet it is not stable.

Yes, you most likely have. If GRUB on MBR or UEFI was that unreliable, there would be
tons of complains from users. FWIW, I am using GRUB-EFI on both Debian unstable and
openSUSE Tumbleweed, the former with Windows 10 dualboot and I have had zero problems
with GRUB on both systems.

With Yaboot, i did not have such problem when installing on HDD (not SSD) Macintosh OSX and later on the same drive Debian.

Yaboot on PPC works completely different as GRUB on x86_64 with UEFI.

Also, after installation, the booting was rock-solid;

Same here with GRUB. Yaboot, OTOH, is unmaintained and it's already incompatible
with modern ext4 features. Sticking with Yaboot is not a good idea as it has
become a ticking time-bomb with no upstream maintainer behind.

Only problem arose, when upgrading from Wheezy to Jessie when Wheezy was on a
seprate disk, then it somehow messed up the Harddisk entries, and the Debian
became unbootable, unless one would manually recreate the proper Harddisk links.

Well, I don't think this qualifies as "rock-solid" then.

I hope that Yaboot can still be used in the future as it seems very good functioning after all.

As long as the package is still in unstable, you will be able to use it. But
we will remove it from debian-installer and you're on your own when you install
it instead of GRUB.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz