Re: Installer from Ports, ppc 32 bit : "No kernel modules found"[was: Re: problem with page /ports/powerpc/]

On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 07:51:47PM +0100, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 02:09:20 +0100
> Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 00:50:01 +0100
> > John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> > > I have done this now although it's almost 1 AM in the morning
> > > here ... Should work now, I just uploaded the updated image.
> >
> > Works, it seems:
> > Just started the same install: no error messages regarding the modules
> > anymore.
> >
> > I didn't finish the install  - I'm tired. So I aborted the install.
> >
> > Aborting the install crashed - but that might be a hardware, not
> > sure.
> >
> > More in the next 24 hrs. or so ...
>
> tl;dr
> Successful install last night on a
> Titanium IV (PowerBook3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh) with a
> debian-9.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso from
> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/
> Console: mess. X: crashes. Sleep: broke
>
> Details:
> At some point, when trying to abort the install, the installer couldn't
> properly shutdown the machine - Photo:
> https://i.imgur.com/MJGBrRX.jpg
>
> The newly installed system seems fine so far except X, plus sleep mode:
>
> Awesome, the window manager, crashes the system at times. Such
> crashes are what I'm used to with this machine even with an older
> previous Debian install - Debian 8, IIRC, and a different X,
> without awesome. But that crash might be a hardware issue: quite some
> time ago the inverter for this machine was replaced by a new one.
>
> There seems to be an issue with, or different system behavior when
> closing the lid for an intended sleep mode - the system *seems* to
> crash, and does not wake up after opening the lid - the next system
> boot needs the power button to be hold down for five or 10 seconds to
> boot, or even  pressing the button multiple times - normally this
> needs one single press for a second or so. Weird ...
> Powering down the system with the usual "shutdown -h now"  doesn't
> result in this problem to power up the machine again.

I think sleep is broken since KMS went in (kernel mode switch) went in.

> And sometimes when closing the lid, all that happens is that the light
> goes off, system does not seem to get powered down into sleep mode.
> And I get a black blank screen when opening again the lid. At least
> typing blindly  "shutdown -h now" on a console with root logged in
> most of the times work ...
>
> Console:
> I didn't find any bar key ("|") there, which is a real PITA, and
> the right "Enter" key next to the right side "Apple" key, cannot be
> reconfigured to act as "AltGr". So: No third layer, up until now:
> and yes: I did a
> "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" multiple times.
> Anyone has a working /etc/default/keyboard config for an old Powerbook?

At home, it's powered down, and I won't be there until Friday and it's
for a Spanish keyboard.

But there are 2 generations of Powerbooks keyboards: on the right side
of the keyboard, the first key may be KP_Enter followed by Alt (on my
Pismo G3), or it may be the Command (Apple) key followed by KP_Enter
(on my late 2005 Powerbook).

Which one do you have?

I have not booted the Pismo for about 1 year, I use the G4 several times
per week, but it's still under Debian stable (with kernel 4.14 however).

> I'll try to install this same version of that ports installer to an
> Alubook ( i.e PowerBook5,8 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh), from around 2005,
> in the next days, and see what happens ...
>
> Let me know, please, if you want the syslog for this upcoming install
> posted somewhere (could become a ~400 KB file).
>
> Any wishes?
>
> PS: thanks, Adrian, for letting me know about awesome - looks cool,
> that beast, and it seems highly configurable. And I even forgive these
> guys their inclination towards vi .. :)
>
> Regards
> Wolfgang

	Regards,