Re: ppc64 installer - make d-i/grub-installer work for NewWorld Power Macs

On 11/02/2017 12:34 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:

On Nov 1, 2017, at 3:50 AM, Frank Scheiner <frank.scheiner@web.de> wrote:

@Rick:
I've also attached compressed versions of `grub-installer` and `debian/postinst` - the latter already renamed so it can be used as is in a Debian installation with Adrian's image from 2017-10-23 22:40h ([1]) after decompression.

Thanks, Frank!  I should be able to give it a thorough workout on Saturday or Sunday.

Let me know if there’s anything specific you’d like me to test — I’ll see if I can get a non-expert mode install to work and report on whether it asks for the HFS partition name.

Thanks, Rick! I cannot think of anything specific at this stage, but in case of errors, the parts related to the GRUB installation in the installation log (console #4 or `/var/log/syslog` IIC) would be helpful. That part should start with:

```
[...] INFO: Menu item 'grub-installer' selected
```

...my modifications in the `grub-installer` script should start with:

```
[...] grub-installer: info: ppc64/powermac_newworld selected.
```

With d-i/partman-newworld in place it could be that the yaboot installation will also just run through without asking prior to the GRUB installation, because of:

from [1]
```
if [ "$ARCH" = powerpc/powermac_newworld ] && \
   db_get partman-newworld/boot_partitions && [ "$RET" ]; then
[...]
    info "partman-supplied bootstrap partitions: $PARTITIONS"
    info "partman-supplied default bootstrap partition: $DEFAULT"
    if [ "$PARTITIONS" ] && [ "$DEFAULT" = "$PARTITIONS" ]; then
	# We have explicit information from partman-newworld that only one
	# bootstrap partition is available, so it's safe to bypass this
	# question.
	bootdev_priority=medium
    fi
fi
```

...which is also used in the `grub-installer` script now in nw_select_offs_part().

But that should hopefully not hurt, as the HFS partition will be reformatted at the beginning of the GRUB installation. I only don't know when there is a good time to "patch" the d-i/grub-installer files, maybe during the partitioning part, because the installer has to wait for user input then.

[1]: https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/yaboot-installer.git/tree/debian/postinst#n96

Cheers,
Frank