Re: Debian PPC64le GFX driver situation

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:42:11AM +0200, Carlos wrote:
> I would like to ask about the driver situation regarding PPC64le.
> Which one is to prefer? AMD or nVidia?

You should actually elaborate a bit more what you are planning to do
with the graphcis hardware. On POWER8, people usually use such
graphics card to perform numerical calculations and for these
purposes, nVidia boards are usually the preferred choice as there is
very good upstream support for them. You can actually buy POWER8
servers from IBM which come with nVidia hardware preinstalled [1].

The nVidia graphics drivers for "ppc64el" are currently not packaged
in Debian [2], but there are current drivers available upstream [3]. I
have no ideas though whether those will actually also work with normal
GeForce boards, those might be Tesla-only at the moment.

I assume that nVidia would release GeForce drivers for POWER8 if there
were any POWER8-based workstations like the Talos available in larger
quantities.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz