Re: First time Debian unstable "sid" (Linux) installation ever - a conclusion

Hi All,

I suppose you're both talking about sid - and not stretch...

Anyway, Carlos, I have good news for you - pbbuttonsd should work now (PowerBook hotkeys including CD eject + ambient light + normally wake up from sleep).

I have already described the quick fix in a post a few minutes ago, but here is a quick summary:

- install back pbbuttonsd if you had removed it. (sudo apt-get install pbbuttonsd)
==> the thing is, this might turn your screen dark again. So you'll need to do some typing in the dark to restart it (to restart in nomodeset)
==> or you can try these commands (in the dark):
==> sudo service pbbuttonsd --full-restart
==> bbcmd config TAG_LCDBRIGHTNESS 90
- uncomment LCD_Brightness=90 in /etc/pbbuttonsd.cnf
- set pbbuttonsd to start after lightdm by modifying /etc/init.d/pbbuttonsd and adding "lightdm" to the end of the "Required-Start:".
I have also commented out "LCD_FadingSpeed=448" in /etc/pbbuttonsd.cnf - but this is more a question of personal preference.

Richard, you can fix the crazy dimming issue by setting LCD_AutoAdjust=off (maybe you have an issue with your ambient light sensor).

About docky - it uses mono - so be careful about it - it might take up some resources - and might break.

Why don't you use a Panel instead? ( you can set it to auto minimize). This won't be as nice as docky - but will be (much) faster.
To do that, right-click on the Panel - and select "Create New Panel", then you can add items in it.

And yes, If you install different desktops you can switch using the login screen - you should have an icon somewhere to let you choose.

Enjoy your PowerBooks with Debian!

Best Regards,
Fadi.