[ I found a solution ! ] Re: sid - PowerBook G4 1.5 Al (radeon) - No Backlight on fourth boot - pbbuttonsd/hdparm

Hi,

It took me some time - but I think I found the issue, and I have a proposition to solve it.

It seems the issue is linked to https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=795498 (pbbuttons hangs on startup).

>From what I've understood:
 - pbbuttonsd is configured to turn off LCD backlight by default (LCD_Brightness is commented out in /etc/pbbuttonsd.cnf).
 - pbbuttonsd hangs on startup - but as it attempted to start, it has already turned off backlight.

So the proposed fix:
 - uncomment LCD_Brightness=90 in /etc/pbbuttonsd.cnf : this means LCD backlight will be at 90% on startup. (to prevent getting a dark screen on startup).
 - set pbbuttonsd to start after lightdm by modifying /etc/init.d/pbbuttonsd and adding "lightdm" to the end of the "Required-Start:". I have tried to put $ALL but that did not work. (why?)

I have added these comments to the bug report in https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=795498

Note that I have also found an issue (and a solution) with pbbuttonsd (Script '/etc/power/pmcs-pbbuttonsd powersave ac ' lauched but exitcode is not null).
I'll try to report my first bug EVER in bugs.debian.org !!!

A final question: should I update the wiki anyway ? Or now that the issue is going to be fixed, we do not need to do it?

Thanks,
Fadi.

En date de : Lun 22.5.17, Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org> a écrit :

 Objet: Re: sid - PowerBook G4 1.5 Al (radeon) - No Backlight on fourth boot - pbbuttonsd/hdparm
 À: "John Paul Adrian Glaubitz" <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de>
 Cc: "Fadi Osman" <fospot-ppc@yahoo.com>, "PowerPC List Debian" <debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org>
 Date: Lundi 22 mai 2017, 20h15

 Hi,

 On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 11:08 AM, John Paul
 Adrian Glaubitz
 <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de>
 wrote:
 > On Sun, May 21, 2017 at
 07:12:00AM +0000, Fadi Osman wrote:

 So I started up in nomodeset - and using the Console,
 uninstalled
 >> pbbuttonsd and hdparm,
 and now have my Backlight back again!

 > Thanks for
 investigating this and thanks for this information.

 > Might be a good idea
 to put it up in the wiki here:

 >> https://wiki.debian.org/PowerPC/FAQ
 >
 >> I have kept the
 contents of /var/log for each of my boot attempt -
 >> but not the fourth unfortunately. A
 first attempt to compare them was

 not very helpful.

 >> I might try to reinstall pbbuttonsd
 and prepare a script to copy the

 /var/log with the backlight off.

 > Yes, please. Once you have gained enough
 information, please file a
 > bug report
 against the pbuttonsd package so the maintainer is
 > notified, although I haven't checked
 whether the package is still

 maintained.

 Dead upstream,
 but I am ok to integrate users patch if needed.

 -M