Re: glibc recompile - optimized for G5 cpu target

Peter,

I wish I had a good answer for you regarding relevant and useful benchmark tools,but I just wanted to add that I would like to try and do the same thing for PPC G4 machines using their architecture specific compilation flags as well to see what difference it makes.  I'll report back on my success/failure as well.  If you do come across a good tool for comparing performance between the two, let me know.  I'll be using the CFLAGS under the G4 section on this Gentoo Wiki page: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Safe_CFLAGS

As we have discussed before, it would great to squeeze every last bit of efficiency as we can out of these older machines.  I also enjoyed your comment from a post here a week or so ago about using an non Intel/AMD machine to learn Linux.  I couldn't agree more. :)

Thanks,
Brock