Re: nouveau on G5 – trouble anyone?

Hello Peter!

Thanks for your answer.
I am currently installing Gentoo Linux in a chroot from the Debian
installation. X.org is actually running, and I switched to a VT which
surprisingly works stable in every way. To check it, I just stopped
X.org by running "systemctl stop kdm" in one of the consoles. So it was
running, but not interfering with the system.

dmesg shows the line:
nouveau E[     DRM] GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon

And then the "FUN" thing: after stopping kdm, I now got these messages
(after about 2 minutes):
nouveau E[Xorg[838]] failed to idle channel 0xcccc0001 [Xorg[838]]

These messages repeat every ~15 seconds and ONLY THEN the system was not
usable anymore. I could still switch consoles, and type in commands, but
they were heavily delayed.

I was then turning off kdm for the next boot, using "systemctl disable
kdm" (delayed, but working). So here comes FUN #2: this solved the delay
problem. System was usable again. I am now continuing to build Gentoo
(without rebooting). For now. Hope this will not cause trouble.

I think I will build a custom kernel later on. Also, I will play with
Gentoo – once I get it up and running, I shall play with current
nouveau, mesa and kernels. Maybe there are some fixes there already? Or
I can apply the 2013 patches mentioned somewhere…

Thanks again,
Andreas  aka  Linux User #330250