Re: Release Architectures for Debian 9 'Stretch'

Herminio Hernandez Jr.  wrote...

> To say that no one stepped forward is not true. Adrian stepped up
> and asked to be the porter for PowerPC.

Digging in the past isn't very helpful, but there one thing I'd like
to understand: Nobody responded to the initial role call in August.
Some folks had done this for jessie some two years ago. Who were they?
Are they still around? Did they silently disappear, or did they sign
off somewhat formally?

I was quite shocked to learn so few people are backing this
architecture. I'm afraid I couldn't spend more time on this but real
life was pretty tough in the past weeks, and my job is slowly killing
me.

And personally I'm cut as well - with powerpc I finally saw a niche
where I could do something useful without interference of the Debian
bullies. Some boxes are on their way to me, I had plans to rebuild the
entire archive on G4 CPU systems since appearently there are more
issues that don't show on the G5 buildds - I'm not sure how much of
this I will still do.

Also I consider big-endian architectures crucial: There still is a
tremendous amount of endianness bugs in the code, powerpc helps to
detect them.

    Christoph