Re: Release Architectures for Debian 9 'Stretch'

luigi burdo wrote...

> Im thinking to start a petition about ... "dont kill debian penguins on powerpc"

Don't. The release team folks are not politicians who get convinced by
a lot of noise. Unless I completely misunderstand their position, the
only question that matters is: Can we (as the Debian project) be sure
powerpc will have backing until EOL stretch (somewhen 2020)?

The right answer is to create trust for this, not whining around.

The best thing that could happen right now was a company approaching
Debian, emphasizing the importance of the powerpc architecture for
their business, and declaring they will hire two Debian Developers who
will contribute to the project as part of their job. But let's not
hope for a miracle.

A remaining idea was was to appeal and ask for a grace peroid. This
appeal requires substantiation: Several people would have to sign
this, people who are well-established contributors to the Debian
project so it is certain they can do the job and their enthusiasm
will last (I wouldn't expect I would qualify for that). And during
that grace period, some two or three weeks, we, the powerpc people,
show significant progress by fixing all the open issues. The fact
#832931 did not get resolved in due course was one of things that hit
the reputation quite badly.

Even if the appeal is unsuccessful on any stage, a clean backlog will
certainly help to have jessie-LTS for powerpc, and re-entry as well.
So please start cracking.

    Christoph