Re: Debian 8.6 fails startup for Apple PPCs

On 10/15/2016 12:12 PM, Kristen wrote:
> List,
>
> I am wondering if the Apple PowerPC line of computers are still
> supported in Debian? I have tried to use a netinstall of Debian 8.6.0 on
> a G3 iBook, a G4 MP, and a G5 iMac and all have failed in the same manner.
>
> The install appears to progress wonderfully. However after the initial
> reboot the system fails with a message reading "Oh no! Something has
> gone wrong.". If I click the button to "Log out" I am given only a blank
> black screen. The virtual terminals also fail to respond. I suppose I
> can SSH in if I hunt for the IP address assigned via DHCP.
>
> Any thoughts about this?
>
> Kristen

As a follow up.
1)	I found that attempting to use the boot option 'Linux
radeon.agpmode=-1' had no affect.

2)	Removing gnome and installing XFCE worked well. I am now using Debain
8 on the G5 iMac.

3)	On the G3 iBook I am working on installing Gentoo. We will see how
usable that computer can be

4)	I have not ever run MATE, so I will try to install that on my G4.

Thank you all

Kristen