Re: yaboot 1.3.17 broken

On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 08:37:28PM -0700, Herminio Hernandez Jr wrote:
> I do not know if anyone else is having this issue but if you make any
> changes to yaboot.conf and try up date the bootloader with 'ybin -v' and
> reboot, the system will not start. I needed reinstall Jessie set up my
> yaboot.conf the way I wanted it updated the bootloader and then upgrade
> to Stretch. I have the same issue in Gentoo, thankfully there I can just
> load the live cd and do my changes.
>
> I found that the current version of yaboot 1.3.17 is broken (at least in
> my experience). The only solution I have seen is to downgrade to 1.3.16. I have also heard that yaboot is no longer been maintained upstream as well. I researched and found that the website is down so I am thinking this is correct.
>
> I have not seen any reports on this in BTS so I wondering if this is even a
> universal problem. I am that someone can confirm if the is the case or
> not.
>
> Finally does any know if migrating to grub2 is a viable option for ppc
> and ppc64?

Only a data point, last week I switched my YDL PowerStation from Yaboot
to grub2. There are rough edges (screen with psychedelic colors), but at
least it boots...

The main reason for the change was that I upgraded my RAID1 disk setup
because one of the previous disks started to give lots of read errors.

This turned out to be more complex than I expected because I did not
know that the initrd had to be rebuilt since in this case the
/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file is crucial to get the root file system
properly mounted.

This said, I think that I could now even have the root file system
on an lvm2 volume, but I don't have enough spare disks to test, not
the time until September at least.

I've not tried grub2 on my powerbooks, nor G4 Pmac, but I suspect that
it works better than on the PowerStation since the OF implementation
seems better.

    Gabriel