Re: Power Mac G5: Attempting to get 2D acceleration with nouveau and 6800 Ultra

Hi Peter,

It looks like events have caught up with us.  There’s now a 4.5.0 kernel in Debian testing and strong hints that the kernel in Stretch, when it’s released, will be based on 4.6.  So your reconfigured 4.5.0-rc2 kernel is getting out-of-date.

Which raises a couple of questions:

Is there any chance that your changes could make it into an official Debian package?  Seems unlikely to me — because it’s very hardware specific — but we can always hope!

Do you have plans to make a 4.6 based kernel any time?

And finally, is there a hardware solution?  Is there a non-Nvidia graphics card I could purchase and install in my PowerMac-G5 that wouldn’t have the problem?   I don’t need anything fancy.  Just enough to run a simple 2D mate or xfce desktop.

From all of us who have benefitted from your work, a big “Thank you!”

Enjoy!
Rick