Re: Re: Powermac G5

It's been a while since I've played with powerpc - how and where to I append the kernel parameter? Is it in yaboot or elsehwere?
Append the kernel parameters within the /etc/yaboot.conf file
A typical yaboot boot entry with the mentioned appended kernel parameters applied would like like below:

image=/boot/vmlinux-4.5.0-rc2-powerpc64
    label=linux
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img-4.5.0-rc2-powerpc64
    append="video=DVI-I-2:D"

Just make sure that as always if any changes are made to /etc/yaboot.conf, you must run the following command afterwards to actually apply the changes to the bootloader:

sudo ybin -v

I'll explore DCB from the link when I have time and try to get my head around all this.
Up to you, I only included the link if you wanted to know more.
Basically it is the nVidia way of describing the video card options and features to the driver, be it nvidia proprietary or nouveau. All of these parameters are stored in the VGA BIOS or in our case the FCODE rom.

As an aside, I don't have sound or flash working yet - gnash doesn't seem to work and swf-dec is not in stretch. Can anyone point me in the right direction
If you happen to be running the 4.5.0-rc2 kernel I built, it should work out of the box, assuming that no snd-aoa modules happen to be previously blacklisted. I recall a quirk with sound and it seemed that the built in speaker is always muted by default the first time snd-aoa driver is used!
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this?

Either way, in a console run alsamixer and check that the master and pcm output is not muted and increase the levels.... It should work (i hope)!

If sound still doesn't work, please post your dmesg log when using the 4.5.0-rc2 kernel.

Regards,
Peter