Re: Powermac G5 & GeForce 6600 Dual Head issues

On 09/02/16 20:50, Peter Saisanas wrote:
Hi Clive,

Thought I should create a specific thread with your issue.

I just tested a spare GeForce 6600 I had laying around and the dual head display behaviour is definitely not working.

Whereas with the Quadro FX4500 it works fine (xrandr and D.H.).
So it is an issue specifically affecting the GeForce 6600 (maybe others as well).

As you described with the 6600, it seems to detect the second display head, (i.e. it reads the EDID correctly) but there is no digital output when connecting a second display via the DVI-I interface (digital).

I don't have a spare DVI-A to VGA adapter, but just curious if it may work better with a VGA display on the second head?

I have been able to force a digital output on the second head by appending the following to the kernel command line:

append="video=DVI-I-2:D"

However it then seems to think the second head is a DFP (LVDS) LCD panel (i.e. a laptop). Unfortunately, also using the mentioned appended kernel command, the second head display is quite bad, (wrong colours, incorrect geometry and graphical corruption). But the output does get enabled.

So in other words, I don't think it is an xrandr issue at all.

Perhaps the issue is is either the nouveau driver doesn't configure the second head correctly for this particular GPU family (GeForce 6600 or NV43) or the Apple OEM FCODE rom used in the GeForce 6600 is has incorrect parameters configured in the DCB?

Link below to understand what the DCB is:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/open-gpu-doc/DCB/1/DCB-4.0-Specification.html

I know that others may say "but it works fine in OSX"...
However Apple has written their own drivers so they may have their own workaround implemented directly in their own driver.

This is a bit of a shame as this particular GPU is the most common one supplied with the Powermac G5 11.2 (DC) machines...

If the issue is the DCB in the FCODE rom, there may be a magical appended kernel command to workaround the problem.

Otherwise, perhaps we can try to patch a GeForce 6600 GPU VGA BIOS and load it from a file so nouveau uses this patched VGA BIOS instead of extracting it from the original FCODE rom from the OF device tree.

Of course, this is on the assumption that the D.H. issue is indeed because of the incorrect DCB parameters in the GeForce 6600 Apple OEM FCODE rom and not nouveau specifically with NV43.

Any takers?
Thanks Peter

I'm pretty sure we have adaptors and so I'll try a VGA tomorrow.

It's been a while since I've played with powerpc - how and where to I append the kernel parameter? Is it in yaboot or elsehwere?

I'll explore DCB from the link when I have time and try to get my head around all this.

As an aside, I don't have sound or flash working yet - gnash doesn't seem to work and swf-dec is not in stretch. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards

Clive

--
Clive Menzies