 Subject: Re: startx goes to black screen with mouse pointer
 To: "Jonni O'Gorman" <jonni.ogorman@gmail.com>
 Cc: "PowerPC List Debian" <debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org>
 Date: Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 11:28 PM

 On Jun
 22, 2015, at 7:15 AM, Jonni O'Gorman <jonni.ogorman@gmail.com>
 wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > I installed base
 system with System Utilities on mac G5 then followed this
 tutorial to get a simple gui setup

 > http://ppcluddite.blogspot.ie/2012/03/installing-debian-linux-on-ppc-part-iii.html
 >
 > I also ran the
 command
 > systemctl set-default
 multi-user:target

 to force login to command line
 > and then
 typed startx but only get a black screen with mouse
 pointer

 > any
 ideas?

 uninstalling all then software now any trying MATE
 instead...

 Did mate work
 for you?  I have the same problem (black screen with a
 white mouse cursor after running startx) on a MacPro
 "(PowerMac G5 Dual Core)” — It’s the one with the
 big aluminum case as described at everymac.com on this web
 page
     http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_dual_2.0.html

 What model is yours?  Can you
 find it at everymac.com?

 I’ve tried booting with kernel command line
 argument “nomodeset”.  That gives me something
 recognizable as a desktop, but the colors are all
 screwed-up.

 I have
 successfully installed jessie with the same configuration on
 a G4 (32-bit) PowerPC Mac.  The video works fine on it.

 Differences between the G4 and
 the G5 that seem relevant:

 G4:
         32-bit, single
 CPU
         VGA compatible controller:
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV200 [Radeon
 7500/7500 LE]
         radeon video
 driver software

 G5:
         64-bit,
 dual CPU
         VGA compatible
 controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 LE] (rev
 a2)
         nouveau  video driver
 software

 Anybody have any