Re: mac G5 running YDL 6.2

If you're going to replace YDL, the procedure is the same. Burn a Debian PPC ISO file to a CD and boot off the CD. Tell the installer to use the whole disk.

Which video card do you have? I have a Radeon. The Radeon driver doesn't support acceleration so I can't run Gnome in Debian 8 because it requires acceleration. I can run lesser desktops. MATE works. I was also able to boot and use Fedora 8 Live. It's old, but that also has the advantage that the software is not as resource intensive so it works nicely on my G4.