Re: Help with the arm64 and ppc64el installation-guides needed

By the way - I just looked at your installation instructions and I did not find anything about how to install in POWER Server environment, i.e., as a virtual machine (aka LPAR) on IBM POWER5 and later.
The ppc64le using KVM will obviously be different, but people using powerpc (historically 32-bit - is that correct, and why I cannot  SMOKE perl with -Duse64bitall ?).

Anyway - I have an installation 'story' I wrote up quite a while ago. http://www.rootvg.net/content/view/560/88/ I just reused this procedure to install Jessie and it still works fine. I like the command-line install very much. One of my reasons that debian is my personal favorite for Linux on Power.

BTW: I notice a slight difference in how 'login as root' works between wheezy and jessie. On both systems I have enabled 'root login' for my initial tests. With wheezy I cannot login as root on the console, but can login using ssh. On Jessie this is the reverse. I assume this is deliberate. (I'll open a new thread to ask how to manage this, because sshd_config - which I know - seems to permit RootLogin (--without-password) but I have not managed to get it to work. Normally I do not want this, but for testing - logging in as root is how I start learning many things (i.e., I skip installing sudo and sudo su -).

So, the question for here - regarding documentation - is there a CHANGES document I have missed that summarizes and/or details the changes (intended) between wheezy and jessie?

Michael

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Holger Wansing <linux@wansing-online.de> wrote:
Hi,

"Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 09:37:42PM +0200, Holger Wansing wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Please take care when updating these to be sure to understand
> > > what they mean. http://www.debian.org/ports/ppc64el and
> > > http://lists.debian.org/debian-ppc64el don't exist.
> >
> > I knew this!
> > But there needs to be created a site under
> > http://www.debian.org/ports/ for ppc64el, when ppc64el gets a release arch.
> > The only page for ppc64el on the ports page ATM is on the debian wiki.
> > That will have to be changed.
> > Otherwise that above entity in our d-i manual will fail to work, no
> > matter which arch name you choose.
>
> I would think that just like armhf uses the debian-arm list, ppc64el
> will continue to use the debian-powerpc list.

Yeah, I just saw that Samuel left the above entities at "powerpc".
That does of course work :-)

Holger

Created with Sylpheed 3.2.0 under
        D E B I A N   L I N U X   7 . 0   W H E E Z Y !