X11 windows redraw problems ATI

Hi,

I upgraded Debian to current unstable on my iBook.

X11 apparently got a bit worse again, whole windows do not redraw correctly but get random content and need to be minimized/reopened to get a refresh, when covered damaged sections contain garbage... Not all apps, e.g. xterm seems to work, but all GNUstep applications are affected (GS from source, not packages, but that should not matter)

Up to a couple of months ago, this was enough:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "ati"
        Option          "ForcePCIMode"  "True"
        Option          "EXANoComposite" "True"
#       Option          "NoAccel" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
        DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

24 bit is needed because, even if slower, the driver lies about the visual depths it can handle.

EXANoComposite was enough to get out all the bugs about font drawing, but retain at least a bit of accell to be able to move and scroll windows acceptably!

What's your experience?

Riccardo