Re: wanted: old G5 hardware for use on the ppc64 port

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 14:27:02 -0200
Breno Leitao <brenohl@br.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Konstantinos,

Hi Breno,

> Thanks for being interested in it. I am also willing to help.
>
> Why not using a remote VM on a new POWER machine hosted at Unicamp?

Already have 2 of those, one ppc64el and one ppc32 (but on ppc64
hardware). The thing is that I want to actually test things that
involve local testing (for example, I've been contracted doing some
ffmpeg altivec optimizations [1] (ppc32 for now) and I found that some
code passes testing (make fate passes) but produces wrong visual
artifacts, and without an actual display I can't really see the
problem).

> You have been doing so using the IBM POWER mini cloud[1], and the
> mini cloud will continue to exist for long. In fact, the minicloud
> has some idle resources for now, and it should grow soon. We are
> expecting to receive some new POWER8 to add to the mini cloud.
>
> Other than that, if you have any special requirement (as a full
> machine), I can work to have it for you, during the bootstrap
> process. Let me know.

Thank you, for now my needs are quite modest, I definitely
appreciate being able to test VSX code on both LE/BE systems, and being
able to test Eigen nightlies on the systems (ppc64le VM already runs
nightlies, need to setup the BE VM as well to do that).

> Also, We are trying to replace Debian infrastructure removing old
> powerpc hardware used to do building and replace it with VMs on the
> new POWER machines. If ppc64 gets accept in Debian, I understand that
> they would use VM on the current POWER machines that the DSA owns,
> other than these old hardware.

Yes, and it would definitely make sense too. As ppc64le port has
proven, build speeds are severely reduced on this hardware :)

Regards

Konstantinos

[1]: https://github.com/markos/FFmpeg/tree/feature/morealtivec

--