Re: wanted: old G5 hardware for use on the ppc64 port

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 08:51:50 +0100
Serge Cohen <serge.cohen@synchrotron-soleil.fr> wrote:

> Hello list,

Hello Serge,

> I have a Mac XServe ppc970/G5 (dual proc., one of the last Apple
> machine to run on ppc hardware). I was unable to install debian on it
> due to a lack of CD-ROM drive, and graphic board (it is a «compute
> node»), but since I have a few other machine of the same type that I
> might have to «recycle» within a couple of year I would be more than
> happy to donate it help with the ppc64 port (in particular
> head-less/CD-ROM less installation, as you might guess).
>
> The main cost would be transport, if it is not too far/expensive (I'm
> in Paris region, France) I could check with my lab's director if we
> can take the cost of the shipment…

The XServe would be great since it can take up a lot of ram (16/32
iirc), just a couple of questions: does it have serial console so that
I could setup OF and install from there (I've been able to install
debian from usb stick on my powerbook so I think it's doable)? and is it
very noisy (I guess so, since it's a rackmounted system)?

Thanks for the offer

PS. Btw, I'm in Greece, so shipping might be a bit expensive, I've had
a big box sent to the UK for ~40-50EUR so I guess this one might be a
bit more.

--
Konstantinos Margaritis
email: markos@freevec.org, markos@debian.org