Re: Remote access to VSX and VMX128 capable machines?

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 01:01:14AM +0300, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, I've been reading the info in those links myself,
> from what I understand the VMX128 opcodes are an extention, that is,
> they are added on top of the existing VMX opcodes, isn't that correct?
> If not, then you're right and I will go forth and fix the data on the
> tables. Also, I noticed something else, those opcodes, while on 2007
> binutils, are not in the current version of binutils-and I guess that
> there are no respective intrinsics in gcc for that matter. Anyone by
> any chance knows why? If VMX128 is a completely dead and obsolete SIMD
> unit then perhaps I should not include it, it has been very hard
> finding documentation on it as it, the only things I could find were
> these:
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/2/0/2208E622-4365-4C00-A6E7-9C3A0190EAAA/Case_Studies_in_VMX128_Optimization_US.zip
>
> and
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/3/7/e3791b88-c41d-4a49-a24c-e4ccfbca4843/Using%20VMX%20and%20SSE%20Instructions%20for%20Performance.zip
>
> However, these include some -probably informative- docs on
> xds.xbox.com, which does not exist anymore. So the links you mentioned
> and the above are the only info I could find on vmx128.
>
> Anyway, thanks a lot for your time.

Well VMX (aka altivec) and VMX128 do have a subset in common, but neither
contains everything that the other has.  VMX128 has more registers
than VMX, but is missing some instructions from VMX and gained some
instructions not found in VMX.  My understanding is that VMX128 is only
found on the xbox 360, so it really probably isn't worth bothering with
at all unless you happen to be writing xbox360 games.  VSX is of course
the new feature found on power7 and up.

--
Len Sorensen