Re: sound on PowerBook G4 and iBook G4

Hi Stefan

Yep, I sent it in an informal way to linuxppc-dev just to see if I could get some feedback on it (having seen that you had had no reply on the debian list).  I'd like to get it included in the next Ubuntu release, so I was trying to get somebody to comment on it. It seems an incredibly simple patch!

As you've probably seen I've had no reply.  Perhaps if you send it in formally and sign it off you may get a better response?  As far as I can tell, the last patch from May 2013 just got forwarded to the alsa-devel list and they included it.

My own good iBook died this week.  2 hours of compiling the kernel maybe was a little too much for it.  Sigh.

Adam

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Stefan Gartner <stefang@aon.at> wrote:
Hi Adam,

thanks for your feedback.

On 07/03/14 20:59, Adam Smith wrote:
> Hi Stefan
>
> Many thanks for this patch.  It fixed sound on my iBook that had
> previously used snd-powermac.
>
> Do you think you could send it to the linuxppc-dev list like this
> person did for a different version of the Powerbook 6,5
> https://www.mail-archive.com/linuxppc-dev%40lists.ozlabs.org/msg66841.html ?
> That way it could get included in the kernel.

I must admit that I have no idea if my patch correct, I was hoping to
get some feedback on it by first sending it to debian-powerpc. Besides,
you seem to have already forwarded my patch to linuxppc-dev.

> I made a slight modification to your patch:
>
> +     { .device_id = 38,
> +       .codecs[0] = {
> +             .name = "tas",
> +             .connections = tas_connections_noline,
>
> since my machine has no external line-in/outs  For some reason though,
> I still get a line-in showing in the sound mixers.  It's not a big
> thing as I just need to select Microphone to record something.

You're right, the iBook only has a headphone jack. I no longer have one,
so I cannot test if your change works.

> Also, in pulseaudio the output port is always shown as headphones.
> This is not really an issue since using snd-powermac it always shows
> "speakers" even when the headphones are connected!
>
> Like you, I also needed to add snd-aoa-i2sbus to /etc/modules.
>
> If certain machines are migrating to snd-aoa then the debian installer
> will need to be changed as discover-mac-io blacklists the snd-aoa
> modules.  Has anybody got any ideas how this can be done?
>
> Thanks
>
> Adam

greetings,
stefan