Re: sound on PowerBook G4 and iBook G4

Hi Adam,

thanks for your feedback.

On 07/03/14 20:59, Adam Smith wrote:
> Hi Stefan
>
> Many thanks for this patch.  It fixed sound on my iBook that had
> previously used snd-powermac.
>
> Do you think you could send it to the linuxppc-dev list like this
> person did for a different version of the Powerbook 6,5
> https://www.mail-archive.com/linuxppc-dev%40lists.ozlabs.org/msg66841.html ?
> That way it could get included in the kernel.

I must admit that I have no idea if my patch correct, I was hoping to
get some feedback on it by first sending it to debian-powerpc. Besides,
you seem to have already forwarded my patch to linuxppc-dev.

> I made a slight modification to your patch:
>
> +	{ .device_id = 38,
> +	  .codecs[0] = {
> +		.name = "tas",
> +		.connections = tas_connections_noline,
>
> since my machine has no external line-in/outs  For some reason though,
> I still get a line-in showing in the sound mixers.  It's not a big
> thing as I just need to select Microphone to record something.

You're right, the iBook only has a headphone jack. I no longer have one,
so I cannot test if your change works.

> Also, in pulseaudio the output port is always shown as headphones.
> This is not really an issue since using snd-powermac it always shows
> "speakers" even when the headphones are connected!
>
> Like you, I also needed to add snd-aoa-i2sbus to /etc/modules.
>
> If certain machines are migrating to snd-aoa then the debian installer
> will need to be changed as discover-mac-io blacklists the snd-aoa
> modules.  Has anybody got any ideas how this can be done?
>
> Thanks
>
> Adam

greetings,
stefan