3D acceleration for Radeon 9600 Pro chip on PowerBook G4

I am currently running Debain Jesse. One of the things I discovered that Xvid does not work unless you enable KMS and turn on 3D acceleration. However to get it working I need to edit my xorg.conf file to my default display from 24 to 16. This got everything working, but obviously it impacted my screen resolution. This is not really a show stopper for me, but I was wondering has anyone ran into a similar issue? One of the Xorg developers mentioned a patch available on this thread here. Has anyone had any experienced in installing patches like these?

Herminio