Re: Power Mac G4 stuck "Loading second stage bootstrap"

Hi Bruno
Hi Steve

Did you ever get this working for you?  I’m a happy user of Debian Wheezy Gnu/Linux on some Apple G4 and G5 Macintosh machines, so I may be able to help.

Bruno: If you haven’t succeeded yet, and you are willing to try again, I’ll try to walk you through the steps…

First, what kind of Mac are you trying to install Debian Gnu/Linux on?  e.g. iMac-G5, or PowerBook-G4 or what exactly?

When you reply as we go through the steps, please describe - step by step, in as much detail as you can - what you are doing and what happens when you do it.

I’m going to assume you have a working modern Mac that you can use to download and burn the iso for your installation.

I think your best bet is to start from the “Stable” (Debian 7.6.0, code-named “Wheezy”) release at:
    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.6.0/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-7.6.0-powerpc-netinst.iso

Download it to your Desktop.

Once you have it downloaded, in a terminal window type:
    cd Desktop
    md5 debian-7.6.0-powerpc-netinst.iso
It will return a checksum for the iso file.  It should look like this:
    MD5 (debian-7.6.0-powerpc-netinst.iso) = bdf612b70fe4d589a6458ec49c85421d
If the checksum doesn’t look exactly like that, let me know and we’ll figure out how to proceed.

The “netinst” image is small enough to fit on a CD-R.  You don’t need a DVD-R blank, though you can use one if you don’t have a CD-R handy.

If you get a successful checksum, you should burn the iso file to a blank CD-R using the “Disk Utility” program in the “Utilities” folder (“cmd-shift-U” in the Finder) on your Mac.  Make sure you get the “burned successfully” window from disk-utility.

Put the resulting CD in the tray of the target machine (your G4 or G5).  Hold down the “c” key and turn the power on.  It should boot the Debian installer.

Give me a report on what you see, and we’ll proceed from there.  It’s probably best to CC to the PowerPC mailing list “debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org” and the debian-user list “debian-user@lists.debian.org” as well, so that the experienced users on those lists can offer us help if they feel like it.

Enjoy!

Rick