Re: How to get installer to align partitions on 4096 byte boundaries?

On May 4, 2014, at 1:24 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> So I ask again: Aside from doing the partitioning manually, myself, is there any way to get the installer's partitioner to respect the new guidelines for "Advanced Format" and SSD/flash disks?
>>
> Have you tried not using a Macintosh partition map -- using a DOS/BIOS partition map instead? Then you should be able to use the more normal partitioning tools.
>
> Or, kind of the reverse, have you tried partitioning it with the Mac OS installer's disk utility? Or pdisk?

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I don't think they would work...

It's the boot disk for a Mac. It *has* to have a Macintosh partition map.  A DOS partition map would not be understood by the Mac firmware,

And anyway, the object of the exercise is to use the default installer for PowerPC Macs, not to force it manually, as would be the case with your second suggestion.

Rick