Re: Creating a PowerPC task force?

Hi,

Rick Thomas wrote:
Hi All!

Did anything ever come of this?  What can we do to make it happen? now that the holidays are over and we each have a little more free time…

Rick

I missed that message! I love PPC and I am still very sad it is getting, along with MIPS; a second-level platform with x86 and ARM now having the dominance.

I use PPC on two iBooks one with MacOS with Debian, on two iBooks, to check that all thw GNUstep software I am involved with works on that wonderful platform. I veryfy compilation natively and then on Debian+GNUstep. There are, however, lots of difficulties! People code less and less for big-endian platforms and for non-x86 as you write lots of stuff breaks.

X currently for me is in bad shape: the driver is crashing with cairo (I hope the patch gets into debian soon) and I have skewed colors. I can survive by exporting X and testing stuff this way, but it is again a proof of this "uphill battle".

a lot of work goes beyond debian, it goes in fixes that would benefit also BSD and others, since they are fixes in the userland!

I'm not using them currently, but I would have available an older 9600 running NetBSD, which always had SCSI problems, and 9500 which had a G4 card which I never got running full speed and I don't remember which OS it was running. I could dust them off :)

GNUstep stuff is a good candiate, since it is quite designed to be corss-platform and most developers, not just me, are receptive about platform compatibility. However Debian is our worst-packaged distribution... so well, not brightnews.

Riccardo