Re: iBook G4 on offer for Debian PPC developer

I own a 1.33Ghz iBook G4 with 1.5Gb RAM. I would say it is too slow
for state of the art java development. OpenJDK 6/7 runs on it, but is
too slow for real practical use because it does not have a JIT
compiler for powerpc. IBM does have a usable jdk with a JIT, but that
is only version 6. Java IDEs like Eclipse or NetBeans are particularly
demanding applications and completely unusable with OpenJDK (without
JIT) (even running maven is unbearably slow with that configuration).
If one insists on doing Java development on these aging powerpc
machines, it's probably better to go old-school and use Emacs/Vim and
javac/ant/maven.

Aside from Java development however, other stuff (including
development) is definitely still doable on that machine.

Ruben