Re: Sound and BCM4318 wireless no longer working in Wheezy on late 2005 G5

On 05 August 2013 at 20:27 Chris Wareham <chris@chriswareham.net> wrote:
> Michel Dänzer said on 05/08/13 10:15:
> > On Son, 2013-08-04 at 22:20 +0000, Chris Wareham wrote:
> >>
> >> I've been tracking Debian Wheezy on my late 2005 dual G5 Powermac the
> >> middle of last year. Everything has worked fine (Bluetooth / BCM4318
> >> wireless combo card, sound, etc) until around the time of the 7.1
> >> release. The first thing that went wrong was the fans switching to full
> >> power, which has already been noted on this list.
> >
> > For the fans, make sure the i2c_powermac module is loaded. Not sure
> > about your other problems though.
> >

> Hi Michel,
>
> The i2c_powermac module wasn't loaded - now that it is, the problem with
> the fans running at full blast is solved. As for the other issues, I
> notice in the dmesg output there's a message saying that the
> snd-powermac module shouldn't be loaded. Removing it doesn't change
> things though.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

I switched from Wheezy to testing, which didn't change anything - still no sound
or wireless. I then took a chance last night, and switched to unstable. That
resulted in a kernel upgrade that has fixed the wireless issue! So in summary,
manually loading the i2c_powermac module fixed the fans running at full blast
and the latest kernel in unstable solves the problem with BCM4318 wireless (may
have been a Broadcom specific issue as Realtek wireless, albeit on USB, was
working under Wheezy and testing).

That just leaves the sound issue. Any advice on that would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris