Re: Installation: xserve G4 with broken CD drive

If it was my machine, I'd spring for a replacement DVD drive.  YMMV

That said, can you boot it from a USB stick? Most NewWorld PowerPC Macs can. The Wheezy installer works fine. I posted to the debian- powerpc list some instructions for doing this with the subject "Detailed notes: How to boot and install Debian from a USB stick on a PowerPC Mac"
in August, 2012.

Hope it helps!

Rick