Re: Problem with a G5 hardware clock

My PowerBook g4 run lucid lynx ubuntu. It has one hour reserved battery power. But If it turn off by it self. It will take few minutes to boot up. And the date and time will become incorrect. But thanks NTP packages capable to synchronize hardware clock according to nearest Internet NTP server.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

From: thinkbrown@gmail.com <thinkbrown@gmail.com>;
To: manjohnson <man.johnson@outlook.com>;
Cc: <debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org>;
Subject: Re: Problem with a G5 hardware clock
Sent: Thu, Mar 14, 2013 2:40:47 PM

The PowerMac G5 has a small lithium battery on the motherboard that can be replaced.

Instructions can be found here: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+Power+Mac+G5+Backup+Battery/1951/1

Good luck

On Mar 14, 2013 5:46 AM, "manjohnson" <man.johnson@outlook.com> wrote:
Hello,
I'm having a problem with the hardware clock on a powermac G5 with Debian
installed.
The time keeps resetting to 1970 at each boot though I changed the PRAM
battery.
When I issue a clock -w command the system complains:
"unable to open /dev/adb read/write : : No such file or directory"
At boot time a kernel message says:
"clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete."
I noticed this while trying without success to boot a recently compiled
real-time kernel.
I managed to use ntpdate to skirt around the problem with my Debian kernel
but I would
like to know if my box can be repaired and how to do it.
Thank you in advance for your help.