Problem with a G5 hardware clock

Hello,
I'm having a problem with the hardware clock on a powermac G5 with Debian
installed.
The time keeps resetting to 1970 at each boot though I changed the PRAM
battery.
When I issue a clock -w command the system complains:
"unable to open /dev/adb read/write : : No such file or directory"
At boot time a kernel message says:
"clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete."
I noticed this while trying without success to boot a recently compiled
real-time kernel.
I managed to use ntpdate to skirt around the problem with my Debian kernel
but I would
like to know if my box can be repaired and how to do it.
Thank you in advance for your help.