Re: Choice of Desktop environment at install time using netinst CD.

I tried it on a MacPro G5 (64-bit) with the "netinst" CD. At the "boot:" prompt I entered "install desktop=xfce", then answered the usual questions and watched it happily install xfce.

So that works.

I have an xfce-CD1 CD that I intend to try with "install desktop=gnome" and see which desktop (xfce or gnome, or both?) it installs. The problem that I foresee here is the the yaboot.conf file on the xfce-CD1 already has its own clause <append="desktop=xfce --"> which may conflict with the user's.

I'll report on that later.

We may have to figure out how to only include the extra instructions (about desktops) on the netinst CDs, which would be no real loss, because all the other desktops have dedicated CD1's of their own.

I haven't tried it on a G4 (32-bit) machine yet. I'll report on that later, too.

Thinking about 64-bit vs 32-bit, I don't think the code that prints the "boot:" prompt (and the preceding boot.msg file) is aware of the bit-width of the hardware. So we may have to either make the added text more comprehensive to warn the user about "install desktop=kde" vs "install32 desktop=kde", or find some other way of dealing with the problem.

Which raises the question of do we dare make boot.msg any longer? It may already be too long -- long enough that most folks won't bother to read all of it, and miss something important.

An alternate approach would be to refer folks to the appropriate section of the installation manual, where there should be a fully comprehensive discussion of the available boot options and why you might want to use them. Something like this:

   The following desktop environments are available:
   gnome, kde, xfce and lxde.  The default is gnome.
   If you prefer a different one, append
       "desktop=<your choice>"
   Details are discussed in the installer manual at
   <URL>

Enjoy!

Rick