Fwd: debian on iBook G4

Was supposed to go to the mailing list...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ruben <ruben.vdg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Subject: Re: debian on iBook G4
To: Dan DeVoto <dand1972@yahoo.com>

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Dan DeVoto <dand1972@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't think pommed does power-saving things like spin down the hard drive, but I've never used it.  I used to use powerprefs to configure pbbuttonsd, but now I just edit /etc/pbbuttonsd.conf.  It's not too hard.

Ok, I should still have that config file somewhere.

>> I also noticed
>> that the terminals become unreadable whenever I shutdown the
>> display manager...
>
> Happens to me, too, when I shut down the display manager to create a xorg.conf file.  That was the only time I had to, so I didn't investigate it.

ok

> Mine looks like this and works fine:
>
> dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation = 1
> dev/mac_hid/mouse_button2_keycode = 97
> dev/mac_hid/mouse_button3_keycode = 96
>
> 97 is fn + ctrl and 96 is the enter key next to the right command key.  If you have mouseemu installed, that might cause a conflict.

Hah.. my "enter" key is remapped to a right control. But thanks for
mentioning mouseemu. It seems I have mouseemu installed... I'll
uninstall that one and I hope that's why it's acting weird.

>> Finally, I noticed that the ondemand governor on current
>> kernels no
>> longer works with the G4. If I'm not mistaken, this did work
>> with
>> older kernels, so I'm a bit surprised. Which kind of
>> external tools
>> can be used to get similar behavior?
>
> There's cpufreqd, but it's kind of a hassle to set up.  There used to be powernowd, but I think that's in the process of being removed.  Ubuntu's PowerPC FAQ has some advice to install it.  After powernowd got removed from Testing by some overzealous purger, I just decided to not bother with any of it.

Ok... I'll check it. I also remember that I had laptop-mode-tools
installed, maybe I'll install that again.

thanks,
Ruben