From: Brian Szymanski <skibrianski@gmail.com>
Subject: good sata card for pci-x powermac?
To: debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
Date: Monday, January 14, 2013, 3:15 AM

Any recommendations for a good sata card for a pci-x powermac that works with debian?

The ones I've looked at so far either:
- have a raid "bios" which i assume is unaccessible on ppc and may or may not provide raw access to the disks by default. the best i can find on this front are sii3124 based cards which have some hideous java ui which proportedly works on linux (no doubt via X11, not the command line)
- support osx, but there is no mention of other OS support, nor of what chipset the card uses (for example firmtek seritek 1v4)

I won't need openfirmware/yaboot/etc. to see the thing at all. as my root volume will be attached to the onboard sata.

Surely someone has looked in to this before?

Or is my best bet really to go with some sort of external enclosure?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Brian Szymanski