Re: Installing debian on mac mini G4

On 06/05/2012 08:23 AM, Christian Lynbech wrote:
I have an old Mac Mini G4 that I would like to install debian on, but I
am having some problems getting it to work.

The internal CD drive stopped working long ago, I have an external LaCie
FW drive but I canot get the installation to work from that.

The symptom I see is that if I boot with Option down, I do get a choice
of boot devices which includes the Debian CD in the LaCie, but if I
select it and continue, the screen will go black for a couple of seconds
and then the bootdevice selection screen re-appears, as if something bad
happened during the Debian bootstrap.

0. Turn your Mac and the external Firewire CD/DVD drive off. Disconnect all other Firewire devices, if any.

1. Turn the Firewire CD/DVD drive on, insert Debian 7 (wheezy) install CD. Wait a few seconds.

2. Trun your Mac on and hold command+option+o+f keys until Open Firmware prompt shows up.

3. Type:

  boot fw/node/sbp-2/disk:,\install\yaboot

4. Follow the on-screen instructions

Wheezy installer is currently in early alpha stage. At this moment, the only functional CD installer is daily BC (business card) version [0]. Therefore, connect network cable to your mac before you begin with installation.

[0] http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/powerpc/iso-cd/