Impact of [linux-any] when pbuilding packages on powerpc for squeeze

Hello,

I would like to submit to the list a problem I encounter when I create
packages of emacs-snapshot (from http://emacs.naquadash.org by Julien
Danjou) on Debian squeeze (powerpc) with pbuilder.

After editing /etc/apt/sources.list with the right deb-src (stable), I
used apt-get source emacs-snapshot to get the debian sources.

My /etc/pbuilderrc look like this:

MIRRORSITE=http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/
DISTRIBUTION=squeeze
COMPONENTS="main contrib non-free"

In the sources folder (emacs-snapshot-20120502/) I used, as it is
described in the Debian New Maintener's Guide, pdebuild with
AUTO_DEBSIGN=no (I'm not signing packages because it's just for testing
purpose right now):

$ AUTO_DEBSIGN=no sudo pdebuild
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: libncurses5-dev
liblockfile-dev libgif-dev libtiff-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev |
libjpeg62-dev | libjpeg8-dev libgtk-3-dev | libgtk2.0-dev
quilt (>= 0.42) libasound2-dev libselinux1-dev librsvg2-dev
lsb-release libm17n-dev libotf-dev libdbus-1-dev libgpm-dev
libmagickwand-dev libxml2-dev libgnutls-dev
autoconf (>= 2.65) automake (>= 1.11)
(...)
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture powerpc
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: libasound2-dev
libselinux1-dev libgpm-dev
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied;
aborting.
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)
E: Failed autobuilding of package

So I have a problem with libasound2-dev, libselinux1-dev and libgpm-dev.
In debian/control I found that those three packages in Build-Depends
have the tag [linux-any].

(You can see the full debian/control and the pdebuild log here:
http://porneia.free.fr/tmp/emacs-snapshot-pdebuild.log).

Julien Danjou told me that the tag is only here to bypass those depends
on Debian kFreeBSD or Hurd kernels. And, as you know, [linux-any] is
described in Debian Policy Chapter 7.1 "Syntax of relationship fields"
with the example "foo [linux-any]" which "is equivalent to foo on
architectures using the Linux kernel and any cpu". So obviously, this
tag on these three packages shouldn't be a problem on my box running
Linux 2.6.32-5-powerpc, right?

I thought my problem was from my configuration of pbuilder, but I didn't
find anything usefull in /usr/share/pbuilder/pbuilderrc nor in the
manual regarding my issue.

So, the only solution I found to actually build the packages were to
suppress all three " [linux-any]" occurrences in debian/control. And it
worked! I got all my packages and I was able to install emacs-snapshot
on my box with the debs I just created.

But I *know* that I'm not supposed to edit debian/control to build the
packages in order to send them to Julien Danjou for the repository. Not
to mention that everything looks good in the debian/control, even to
compile the packages under powerpc...

As you understood I'm a total newbie in Debian packages creation but I
don't get where I'm wrong and what I haven't done to make it work
properly from the beginning. Can someone have an idea please?

Thank you very much by advance, regards.

e-

--
~ #ID: e20100633 <e20100633()inbox!lv> #TTY: 9-8M 4554
~ TYPE 1707-A3 S/N L3-M2812 SLACKWARE 13.0 RLU #527034