Re: Hibernation (suspend-to-ram) on iMac G4 with Debian Squeeze

On Fre, 2012-05-11 at 16:31 +0200, e20100633 wrote:
> I successfully installed Debian Squeeze (kernel 2.6.32-5-powerpc) on a
> iMac G4. This is my first installation of Debian on a Apple desktop
> computer. I have few question about it. The first one is about
> hibernation (suspend-to-ram). I am unable to do it at all.
> I'm trying to do it with pm-suspend; but the command doesn't do anything
> and return no errors (even in /var/log/{messages|syslog}). After some
> research I found that I may not have suspend-to-ram:
>    # echo -n mem > /sys/power/state
>    bash: echo: write error: No such device
>    # cat /sys/power/state
>    disk
> Plus, trying with hal-system-power-pmu return an error too:
>    /usr/lib/hal# ./hal-system-power-pmu sleep
>    power-pmu : PMU_IOC_SLEEP failed

This means sleep (aka suspend to RAM) is not supported on your machine.
Support for it has never been implemented for any non-laptop Apple
PowerPC machines.

Note that 'hibernation' usually refers to suspend to disk. It might be
possible to get that working, but there's probably some gotchas as well.

Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com