Re: Helping with PPC64 port: missing coreutils in sid

(2012-05-08 07:50 -0300), Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
> Hi, folks.

Hi,

> I would like to start contributing to the PPC64 port, since I have
> access to some machines.
>
> When trying to debootstrap from debian-ports, I find that the sid
> Packages file has coreutils (and maybe all other packages in
> unreleased?) missing. unreleased, on the other hand, does not have
> util-linux or mount. So, I can't really use debootstrap from
> debian-ports.org.

It is not able to debootstrap from only debian-ports repository now,
because the required package has not gathered completely.
Try following command:
debootstrap --no-check-gpg --arch=ppc64 --variant=buildd sid /chroots/sid-ppc64 http://yamamoto.fam.cx/debian/
Then, change the sources.list to debian-ports repository and perform dist-upgrade.
(cf. http://wiki.debian.org/PPC64)

However, since apt ver. 0.9.x has bug #669243 now, be careful not to forget to download and hold ver. 0.8.15.10 from snapshot.debian.org.

> I see that the coreutils in the unreleased dist comes from Yamamoto, who
> also has a repo. His package has an additional changelog entry, with
> unreleased as the dist, so that may explain why it has gone into the
> unreleased dist Packages, instead of sid/unstable.
>
> What is the procedure here in pushing packages into the unstable dist?
> And why do we have any changes in coreutils at all?

At present, they are built from the same sauce packages as unstable.
except for libx11 (#613820), gcc-defaults (#668861), hdf5 (#670266) and mono (#651664)
package which are behind in correspondence of FTBFS.

Best regards,
--
Hiroyuki Yamamoto
A75D B285 7050 4BF9 AEDA  91AC 3A10 59C6 5203 04DC