Re: Fwd: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro blacks out, unrecoverable

On 03/15/2012 11:44 PM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Don, 2012-03-15 at 12:33 -0800, Kristen R wrote:
>>
>> Your requested files can be found at ftp://atmyhome.org/kristen
>>
>> I have included dmesg, Xorg.0.log, and a screen shot of top.
>
> The lines
>
>         disable FP1
>
> at the end of Xorg.0.log indicate something is telling the X driver to
> put the monitor into DPMS power saving mode. It's not clear what that
> is, but it looks like it might be some kind of daemon such as
> gnome-power-manager or maybe upower or something HAL related. Does the
> problem also occur if you start some kind of failsafe session instead of
> your normal one?
>
> BTW, any particular reason why you have acpid installed? There's no ACPI
> on PowerMacs.

I had installed some power management software seeking the ability to
hibernate or suspend this box when inactive. I like those feature found
on OS X 10.5 and use them. As it is under Debian when I click the log
out icon on the Xfce panel I can either: Log Out, Restart, or Shut Down.
The Suspend and Hibernate choices have no effect. The settings I chose
in the power management settings fail to suspend the monitor or computer
after a period of inactivity. The only way I see to minimize this box's
electrical usage when inactive is to turn it off.

I have removed the apmd, and apcid package installations. I also removed
any packages which seemed to me to try and control fan speeds, cpu
speeds, and lm sensors as well. Since the PPC doesn't incorporate any of
these I am aware of.

In the course of looking through packages I found that I had both
kernels for single processor and smp processors installed. I have
removed anything except those related to powerpc-smp processing as I
have dual processors. This mix was a result of installing Debian, but
not using an installer for dual processors. Something I didn't know
about at the time.

A reboot later and the screen went black within a minute or two of
logging in to my account. It seems that if I don't lose my video within
those few minutes of logging in I'll be OK for the rest of the session.
Else I must log in via SSH and restart GNOME Display Manager. I have
just posted new files; Xorg.0.log.1 and dmesg.1 to
ftp://atmyhome.org/kristen
These files are subsequent and results of the package activity listed
above. I have also posted a file dpkg_list which contains the results of
dpkg --list command. Perhaps you can see something which either needs to
be installed or removed.

I appreciate all the help!