Re: graphics card for PowerPC G5 and debian-6.0.3-ppc

On 16.02.2012, lsorense wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 05:09:14PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > He was asking about a PCI card.
>
> PCI and AGP.  But not PCIe.  Not too many options for PCI and AGP anymore.
>
> > You're right, although with KMS, console will work as soon as the radeon
> > kernel module is loaded (which can happen very early, e.g. via initrd).
> > But that still won't help if ther display is needed before that.
>
> It just might be.  I wouldn't consider it fully working if it didn't.

The point of interest is: "Not too many options for PCI and AGP anymore."

If I NOW buy an AGP or PCI card, I can replace it later.

If I need or can use an AGP card in two years, I probably do not get one.

The following page

 http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Blog/4B4B7BA2-7ABB-47F1-87AC-B03D37942BEE.html

contains a listing:
----------
OS X Core Image Supporting Graphics Cards

    Geforce 5200             ?,APPLE,2x
    Geforce 6200             ?,2x
    Radeon 9600 Pro        ?,APPLE
    Radeon 9650              ?,APPLE
    Radeon 9600 XT         ?,APPLE
    Radeon 9500 Pro        ?
    Radeon 9700 Pro        ?,APPLE,2x
    Radeon 9800 Pro        ME,?,APPLE,2x
    Radeon 9800 XT         ?,APPLE
    Geforce 6600 AGP     ?
    Geforce 6800 GT        ?,APPLE
    Geforce 6800 Ultra     ?,APPLE
    Radeon X800XT          ?,APPLE
    Radeon X850XT          ?,APPLE
    Geforce 7800 GS        ?

Flashed WinPC cards, denoted by ???.
Retail Mac Editions, denoted by ?ME?.
OEM G5 cards, denoted  "APPLE"
Use in 2x AGP machines possible with flashed or ME cards denoted by ?2x?

 "Flashed WinPC cards" obviously means: it is possible to change the BIOS
of the card.

But how this could be done is not explained.

So I either have to (learn to) flash; or DEBIAN does in the near future
support cards that can be bought now.

winfried