Re: disk labels and partitions for IBM Power to boot

On 03/01/2011 08:59 AM, Adrian Zaugg wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have partitioned my boot disk in a IBM Power 740 Express with cfdisk
> (msdos disk labels) to have a PReP bootpartition first and a Linux
> partition behind it. The system doesn't recognize this disk as a boot
> disk, although I have activated it.
>
> Some questions do arise:
> - Can I use PC disklabels on the boot disk?

Yes.

DOS is IBMs favorite partition table.

> - Is it correct to write yaboot to the PReP boot partition with no
> filesystem?

Yes.

Create DOS partition table (disklabel). Fist partition should be not
larger than 8MB PReP partition (type 0x41). Write yaboot binary directly
onto it. Second partition should be ext3 (type 0x83), and yaboot.conf
should be sitting in the /etc/ folder on the second partition.

> - Does yaboot support ext4 for the Linux partition?

No.

Yaboot has to load yaboot.conf, kernel and initial ramdisk image from
ext3 filesystem. It wont work on ext4. (ext4 could be created in ext3
compatible way, but I never tried this)

> - What do I have to do that IBM SMS recognizes my disk as a bootable media?

Firmware default settings will load and run ELF binary form the first
PReP partition located on the first HD. It can be configured to load
from a specific location by setting 'boot-device' variable to
openfirmware path of the PReP partition. You can set 'boot-device'
variable from firmware command line or using 'nvsetenv' command from
within linux environment.

Milan